Thursday, October 10, 2013

quilts and friends go hand in hand

A year ago today, I hopped on a plane for Salt Lake City to attend Sewing Summit. At that time I had no idea that I'd make a few really great friends. Sure I thought I'd meet some people and become part of a larger community, but I had no idea what I was in store for.
I roomed with Bianca of Sweet Diesel Designs  we had been online friends since January so it was such a treat to meet her and spend some real time together. Along the way we met Nydia the ADD Crafter and her roomies Sarah and Sylvia. Suddenly the five of us were inseparable. For the rest of the weekend, if you saw one of us, the other four were nearby. Then, we hatched a plan.
We decided we should make traveling quilts. Each of us would start a quilt, with a block, or a row or a panel and then send it on to the next person for them to add to it. The rules were fairly simple, we mostly had generous leeway to be creative and add what we thought fit the feeling of the quilt and the recipient's style.
When we started, I had no idea that I'd end up with a quilt so pretty and so exactly what I've been dreaming of. I'm so very overwhelmed by how much was put into my quilt.
I started with a panel that I made with an EZ Dresden ruler. Simple, basic and as it turns out, lots of possibilities.


Blue Iguana starting block

From that simple panel came this amazing quilt.

Blue Iguana Quilt

Blue Iguana in the wind

Blue Iguana goes to the beach

I had no vision for how I thought the quilt would turn out. I wanted my friends to have total creative freedom to add whatever they wanted to the quilt. It couldn't have turned out better.
So thank you friends for this beautiful quilt and a fantastic memory. You guys rock!

11 comments:

  1. AWE aren't you a cutie pie. I can't wait till I get to see my quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope everyone will share their quilts - such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the quilt is beautiful and the friendship is amazing! What a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that!? Very fun and the quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the quilt, but mostly wanted to comment on your previous post which is closed to commenting: I LOVE that basket. Best basket ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to meet our Canadian quilters. Thanks. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you! Just curious, I used to live in Qualicum Beach. Where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt and it sounds like the summit was amazing!! Just popping in to say hi. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow -- what a great project! Meeting online friends is so much fun -- it's like a gift that keeps on giving! (And I'm trying to figure out how I missed this post! ;-8 )

    ReplyDelete